out for oneself 自分のことしか考えない、自分の利益だけを追求する。3;44 I'm not so different than anybody else. Everyone I've ever known —my family, my classmates, the people I work with— they're all out for themselves. the difference is, I could admit to myself. 私は他の皆とそれほど違うわけではない。私がこれまで知り合ってきた人たち――家族、クラスメート、一緒に働いている人たち――みんな自分自身の利益を追求している。違うところがあるとすれば、私はそのことを自分自身に認めることができた、ということよ。
The Psychopath | House M.D.
5;04 Meaning that Cruz isn't out there representing his constituents or Americans more broadly. He's representing himself and his re-election campaign. He's just another bought-and-sold politician shilling for the corporate interests that cut him checks. So you might think he's being virtuous, but he's just out for himself.
つまり、クルーズは、自分の選挙区の有権者や、もっと広く言えばアメリカ国民を代表して活動しているわけではないということです。彼が代表しているのは、自分自身と、自分の再選キャンペーンなのです。
彼は、自分に小切手を切ってくれた企業の利益のために売り込みをする、また一人の「買収され、売り渡された」政治家にすぎない。
だから、彼は高潔なことをしていると思うかもしれませんが、実際には自分自身の利益しか考えていないのです。
Ted Cruz tries 'gotcha' question on Buttigieg at hearing… and fails MISERABLY
4;44 Half of the country is voting for Trump or they like Trump because this is what we've seen over centuries when people have lost faith in their government, when people feel like the government isn't listening to them, people will go with a strong man, people will go with someone who is not good for them, not good for the country, someone who is a fascist, who, you know, tells them what they want to hear, but really is only out for his own self-interest because they're looking for anything, they're looking for a savior. 国民の半分がトランプに投票している、あるいはトランプを支持しているのは、これまで何世紀にもわたって見られてきたことだからです。人々が自分たちの政府への信頼を失い、政府が自分たちの声に耳を傾けてくれていないと感じると、人々は強い指導者を選ぶようになります。自分たちにとって良くない人、国にとって良くない人、つまりファシストのような人物を選ぶようになる。そういう人物は、人々が聞きたいことを言ってくれますが、実際には自分自身の利益しか考えていないのです。
なぜなら、人々は何かを求めているからです。救世主を探しているからです。
Trump Fails Bigly, Females Dominate Early Voting
参考リンク
https://bridge-english.blogspot.com/2026/09/20260921.html 私の英語ノート 2026/09/21